A Whole New Mind – Right Brain Inspiration for Organizations
Daniel H. Pink has written a fascinating book about Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future.
Looking into Pink’s future is thought provoking and stimulating. He gives three questions about our work that tells we are moving into the Conceptual Age:
- Can someone overseas do it cheaper?
- Can a computer do it faster?
- Is what I’m offering in demand in an age of abundance?
The left brain skills of the Information Age will no longer be enough if we want/need to add something of value. “In the Conceptual Age, we will need to complement our L-Directed reasoning by mastering six essential R-Directed aptitudes. Together these six high-concept, high-touch senses can help develop the whole new mind this new era demands.”
- Not just function but also DESIGN.
- Not just argument but also STORY.
- Not just focus but also SYMPHONY.
- Not just logic but also EMPATHY.
- Not just seriousness but also PLAY.
- Not just accumulation but also MEANING.
If your organization is looking at future trends, this book is a must read.
A Whole New Mind – Why Right-Brainers Will Rule The Future by Daniel H. Pink, 2005, ISBN 1-57322-308-5