A few years back Michael Gerber, of E-Myth fame, referred to solopreneurs as “technicians suffering from an entrepreneurial seizure”. I prefer to think of them as technicians who have a driving need for independence and self-reliance. But knowing how to do the technical work (cook, coach, web developer, carpenter, etc) is not enough. There are entrepreneurial skills and qualities that we all must learn and develop.
The constant and speedy shifts in business and government caused by globalization and advances in technology have made it necessary for many people to adapt by participating in what is now known as the Gig Economy.
Gig Economy Choices
- Employed in a series of part-time permanent jobs as an employee;
- Doing contract work as a freelancer completing a project;
- Solopreneurship flying alone as a small business.
Whether we choose to work in the Full-Time Job Economy or we work in the Gig Economy now and in the future, we must all be entrepreneurial as a way of life and work.
The Entrepreneurial Qualities We Must Have
- Commitment to a vision;
- Self-reliance and personal accountability;
- Goal and outcome orientation, including profit;
- Curiosity for creative approaches and variety;
- Ethics – honesty and transparency;
- Desire to be of service.
The Entrepreneurial Skills We Must Develop
- Achieving clarity about our Vision, Purpose and Goals;
- Breaking through our own resistance and fear of risk and uncertainty;
- Interpersonal skills of persuasion, connecting and supporting;
- Being organized, focused and able to develop workable systems;
- Nimble decision making and shifting direction when necessary;
- Verbal fluency both in writing and speaking;
- New skills acquisition and application;
- Trend watching through research and reading/listening to new material;
- Digital Literacy –
- computational thinking
- interface with hardware and software,
- online activity – websites, social media
- security watch
- even a little coding
- Engagement skills
If you find these skills and qualities a challenge, you will find that some business coaching will get you there quickly. See my Business Coaching Services here.
Mindset Monday Challenge
Looking at your own career/business activities, what entrepreneurial skills and qualities have you noticed being essential? Would you add anything to my list? Have you added anything to your own list to develop?