Overcoming Business Exhaustion
If you are experiencing any of the following, chances are you are experiencing what I like to call Business Exhaustion. Others often refer to it as Burn Out:
- Always tired – too tired in the evening to do anything but watch TV
- Depressed, discouraged and disappointed
- A dulled feeling, numb
- Feeling drained, spent
- Seeing no possibilities
- Going through the motions but getting nowhere
- Working harder and longer
- Resisting change
- Not sleeping well
It can sometimes creep up on us before we know it. Then we find ourselves asking “How has this happened to me?” Here are some typical reasons Business Exhaustion happens:
- Living with overwhelm, isolation and frustration for too long
- Constantly giving, being drained by others
- Neglecting oneself; being out of touch with our own needs
- Failing to set and/or keep boundaries
Strategies for recharging our batteries:
- Delegate everything you can.
- Take a break (temporary or permanent).
- Get some rest. Connect with nature.
- Turn off the computer and TV.
- Have some conversation with someone you care about.
- Expose yourself to new ideas and possibilities.
- Re-frame negative ideas.
- Get in touch with your mission, values, and principles. Write them down.
- Go back to basics. Begin again. Set a new vision.
- Revise intentions.
- Write, discuss, learn.
- Try a creative outlet (art, music, dance, etc)
- Take a retreat-type workshop
Coaching Questions to Stimulate Reflection About Your Life & Work
- What is the one thing that gives you incredible joy?
- What would your life be like if you were experiencing that incredible joy every day?
- Brainstorm all the ways you can think of that will bring that joy to life.