Self Care During the Holiday
I have always found the month of December a stressful one. While it is usually great fun to attend all the extra events and connect with friends and family, I am often left in a state of overload. I need to remind myself that I will need to recharge my batteries. That means taking a block of time just for me. So what shall I do with this time? Here’s my brainstormed list, in no particular order.
- Walk the beach at sunrise with my fitness partner Robyn;
- Turn off all external noise and dive into a juicy novel;
- Spend an afternoon sewing;
- Dig out all my CDs and listen to a few that I haven’t heard for a few years;
- Work up a vision board for the coming year;
- Make a list of all that I am grateful for;
- Write a long chatty letter to an old friend – better still, phone her;
- Take a photographic walk. Choose a theme to guide the choices;
- Meditate in a tranquil place – beach, forest, garden;
- Spend the afternoon trying a fancy recipe – no deadline of course;
- Reflect on the past year and journal my observations;
- Sleep all afternoon.
As I review this list, the realization comes that I need to find opportunities to do these things regularly. How often do we take individual time to do just what we feel like – Whatever the spirit moves us to do.
What will your spirit move you to do over the holiday?