Well, it’s spring here in Victoria BC and with it comes our need to clean up after a long winter. In my household, I’ve been busy cleaning windows, painting, preparing the balcony for planting and cleaning carpets. I want to have everything ship-shape so that I can enjoy the coming wonderful sunny warm weather. It occurred to one of my Success Circle participants (thank you Paull Murray) that we should also consider spring cleaning our businesses. Following our discussion, I share our ideas for How To Spring Clean Your Business
Spring Clean Your Computer
- Remove old apps and programs that you no longer use.
- Move the data that you think “I might need this someday” to a data stick and store away safely.
- De-clutter and organize your desktop and remove anything not used very regularly. Did you know that desktop clutter slows your computer done?
- Clean out your inbox. Archive the keepers, delete anything you have not looked at in months, store important attachments in their own file.
- Re-organize labels in your mail program. Labels are best used only for items that are needed in a hurry.
- Clean your keyboard, mouse and monitor(s). Vacuum the dust from the air vents on your tower.
Spring Clean The Office and The Business
- Take a day and review your business model – is there something that needs to be dropped or added?
- Look for opportunities to simplify.
- Decide if there is some activity that could be delegated to a Virtual Assistant.
- Toss & shred any paper that is older than seven years
- Devise a more efficient way of keeping track of items for the taxman (e.g. with smartphone photograph receipts and save to Evernote; use a smartphone app to record mileage)
- Find a way to get some honest feedback from clients and make some changes based on responses.
- Plan your week according to themes so that like activities are grouped together (Thanks to Mike Vardy for this one)
- Mechanize activities that are taking up a lot of your time. (e.g. a scheduling app to take care of appointments)
- Re-arrange your office to give you a fresh view.
- Get the carpet and furniture cleaned.
- Take everything off desks and bookcases and clean.
Spring Clean Your Website
- Make your home page more appealing – give it a new look – try a new theme.
- Make sure that all updates have been done.
- Ensure that all plugins are being used and delete those that are no longer needed.
- Review your security needs and be sure to acquire SSL (https://) designation. It will improve your ranking.
- Do a careful analysis of what is working and what needs improvement (using Google Analytics and Google Search Console)
- Decide if it is time to add another capability (e.g. Pay Pal buttons)
- All of this section was suggested by Jay Neil
Mindset Monday Challenge
Block off some time to look at the efficiency of your work and take action. If this looks too daunting, find a business coach to help you. See my Get Focused-Get to Work Session
In my workstyle-lifestyle coaching work I love helping solopreneurs find direction, stay motivated and build systems that both support and promote their business. Here’s a great place to begin: