The Ebb and Flow of Confidence – LowellAnn Fuglsang
Solopreneurs often find their confidence will ebb and flow. You need to discover how to increase your confidence in order to keep your balance.
While working with my Morning Pages and Virtues Cards, I drew the Confidence card. Popov (the developer of the cards) defines confidence as “having faith in ourselves and in life.”
I got to wondering why my confidence level tends to ebb and flow. Sometimes I feel ready to just “give ‘er” while there are other times when I feel down and wondering what’s the point. So I decided to do a bit of a reflection on the subject. Here’s where I started: Confidence is well defined in Psychology Today.
What are the indicators of confidence? Externally, we see
- A physical demeanour that shows attention to detail in the way we take care of ourselves – hair, teeth, clothing, overall look.
- Straight posture, purposeful stride
- Ready smiles and clear, interested eyes
- Our connections with others have energy and enthusiasm
- New business, career, personal opportunities are coming in
- A wide circle of friends and colleagues
Internally, we feel
- Optimistic about the future
- Satisfaction with our personal life
- On top of things – being organized and unhurried
- Gratitude for what life offers
- Able to see the positive aspects of what & who surrounds us
What makes our confidence slip?
I notice that mine slips when I feel isolated and alone in my business. Maybe business results are lagging behind and I’m having feelings of rejection. Then I give my greatest fears about my abilities too much attention and allow in pessimistic thoughts about the other activities in my life. They all seem to run together.
How to Increase Your Confidence
What are the best ways to boost up that drooping confidence? I’ve found that a walk on a beautiful trail or the beach helps me clear away negative feelings. Then
- An inspirational book or conversation with a positive colleague or friend helps to build energy and optimism
- Getting in touch with my creativity and vitality also helps. See Maintaining Vitality here
- Removing negative words from my verbal and mental vocabulary helps to maintain a positive approach
- Meditation helps to sort out my feelings
- Visualization of success brings the strength to move toward my goals.
Mindset Monday Challenge
Spend some time reviewing your own level of confidence right now. What techniques do you use to maintain your confidence reserves?
This Mindset Monday post is presented by LowellAnn Fuglsang, Business and Career Coach, especially for solopreneurs.
In my workstyle-lifestyle coaching work I love helping solopreneurs find direction, stay motivated and build systems that both support and promote their business. One support that I like to emphasize for them is the Google experience. Two great places to begin are my Weekly Being Your Own CEO Success Circle and The Portable Business Coach (a tool that will tell you where you need to put more time and energy)